Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Falling On My Ass

Monday was a well deserved recovery day for me. I was sore all over, but it was my back that made me want to just lay around all day. Unfortunately I could not do that because we had to roll on the first coat of epoxy on to the floor at Liberty. This took about 5 hours of rolling with an hour of vacuuming before. I thought of it as active recovery for my back...

Yesterday I felt way better and was ready to roll on two more coats of epoxy; one at 8am and the final at 7pm. I would have a mid day break to get out for a ride, so I was happy about that.

I got out for a ride around 2pm and headed to NOTL and then up to Queenston along the Parkway. I remembered hiking some cool trails up on the escarpment before, and thought it would be fun to ride them on my cross bike. It was fun, really fun and they where in great shape. I headed down York Rd. and then back up the escarpment on the Bruce Trail at Con.2. I had never been on this trail before, an would have to say that it was way cooler than I imagined possible. Great views, good flow and cool tecky bits. Shit turned for the worst when I came to a steep switchback downhill. This did not look rideable, so I started to walk down it. There where lots of big rocks on steep angles and it was one of those that I slipped on, and landed on.

It was like one of those slips on ice where both of your feet shoot out and you are laying horizontal in the air for a sec before gravity sucks you back down to earth. I let go of my bike when I slipped and it took I nice tumble down the hill before a tree and some brush stopped it. Bottles flew out, but no damage to report on it. Lucky for me I suffered no serious damage, but man did it ever hurt. I landed on a pointy rock right on the back/left side of my hip. I flopped to my stomach, clinched my teeth and immediately thought that I would have to skip the P-A, and maybe still be hurt for the first o-cup.

The pain was bearable after a couple minutes and I slowly made my way to my feet. I limped down to my bike, bushwhacked down to the golf course, and then started the most painful 10km ride home I have ever done. I could feel the big goose egg forming, and just wanted to get home so badly to get some ice on it. I made it home, and iced it on and off for an hour and a half before heading in to work to roll the final coat of epoxy on the floor. This was not fun, but once I started moving the area loosened up, and I could work without much pain.

This morning it was really stiff. I chose to take the day off from work to rest it, and am happy I did that. I even took a Tylenol. I can't remember the last time I took one of those, but I would take anything today to help with it. It seemed to work and I was able to cut my lawn and walk normally rather than limp. In the afternoon I attempted to ride my bike. I figured that going really easy could help keep the area loose and help it recover faster. I spun around real slow for an hour and it felt better and better throughout the ride. still hurt a bit and the harder I pedaled the more it hurt. Getting aero hurts the most so I had to sit up tall.

I was in a debate about weather to do P-A on my MTB or cross bike, but I have decided now that I will use my cross bike, because its faster, and I need all the help I can get with my busted ass. I plan on pimping it out a bit by stealing some parts of my road bike, just because I can. I wanted to do it on my mountain bike because the first o-cup is the Sunday after, and I felt the need to get more miles on it, and more comfortable with going fast on it to prepare for it. I will just ride it as much as I can the week before instead.

Moral of the story is.. don't put your life at risk by walking downhills. Riding them is much safer!

No comments:

Post a Comment