Monday, April 5, 2010

Thanks Mother Nature

Wow.

5 days of sun and record highs, with dry singletrack during a long weekend = :).

I got in loads of great riding this weekend, with two long days on my MTB. Thursday was a 2hr easy road ride to open everything up for Good Friday. You already know how GF went..... When I got home I went for an hour recovery ride on the flat roads near NOTL.

On Saturday I did a 50km MTB ride including just about every trail in northern Niagara. Conditions where unbelievably good, for this time of year, but I still managed to get really dirty. Those spots that are always muddy, where really muddy, and I hiked around some to try and keep my bike as clean as possible. Most of the mud I picked up was from Trail 1 in Shorthills.

Sunday I did a 55km MTB ride, with a 37 minute race pace lap of the 8x12. I rode the 8x12 once for a warm up, then cranked the puke meter to 11 and hammered out a lap as fast as I could. I started at the head of the Suzanne trail, rode it in reverse, did the course as usual, and finished where I started. My time was 37minutes, Averaging 22.1 km/hr. I have done it faster before, but the spring conditions make it much slower, and I had to slow a few times to pass other trail users. After that I went back out on Suzanne and up to Brock where I did Switchback City both ways then went up Hydro to come down that super fun decent trail with the twisty section at the bottom. Then it was back home along the 12 mile creek, through Suzanne for the sixth time, and asphalt home from there.

Today I did 150km on my road bike, in 5 hours. I battled some strong winds to make it to the top of the Eff, then did 7 laps of the Niagara classic to finish on top again. Coming home from there was super fast with the tail wind and I easily held 40km/h on the flats. My average speed in the end was 31km/h, the fastest I have ever done that route, and I wasn't really pushing it that hard. It was a good feeling.

Other than some super hard intervals on Wednesday, the rest of this week will be mainly recovery. Mansfield is coming fast, and I want to get in some good intensity training prior. Homage to Ice will be good for that too.

All for now....

1 comment:

  1. I saw you turning right at the bottom of saylors!
    I thought it was you :P

    ReplyDelete