Monday, July 11, 2011

Buckwallow

The Buckwallow o-cup once again made for a great weekend up in Muskoka.

I was up there on Tuesday, with Schmidt along for the ride and Henri already there to meet for some laps. We got 6 in, with no issues other than some slow leaks for myself and Schmidt, in our rear tires. Oh, and I bent up my front rim jumping of a roller and landing funny on flat ground. Didn't wreck it, but it was bad enough that it needed to be replaced, with a lighter rim, a podium MMX. Thanks Derek @ Liberty! for doing that last min for me.

The course was really nice, very similar to last year, maybe tougher with West D'nile in it. That trail was supper tough, almost all on rock, and uphill most of the way. some tricky lines in there that made a dab-free run difficult. I got my lines down, but would still mess up the steep uphill rock now and then.

On Thursday I did a tough interval workout, feeling good and finishing strong. Pushing the big watts must have done some damage to my right knee, which was injured before Albion. Friday it was its worst yet, every pedal stroke on my way to work caused a sharp stab like pain as I came over then top. I was a bit worried about the race, but tried to forget about it as I knew that the race adrenalin would numb it come Sunday.

Headed back up to pre-ride again Saturday, after sitting in some awful traffic for hours. Made it up around 1:30, then hit the course for 3 laps. Knee was poopy, and all was was thinking about. sucked up a lot of pain and enjoyed the riding the best I could getting lines dialed. The evening after was spent swimming and chilling by the fire, basically just soaking in the cottage life with the Henri's and Schmidt.

Race day morning my knee had made no improvements and made for an awful warm-up. Didn't think racing was a good idea, but I was there, and am not one to quit before I start.

Race starts and bam! No pain!. Adrenalin is a hell of a drug. I started second row, in a great spot, but was not mentally prepared to go, and let myself slip back. I was so hot, and with a long tough race, I Knew I would have to hold back to survive.

The field was not nearly as thin as last year, so making a podium spot was going to be very tough, even with very good power. I did feel alright, and was able to move up a bit, but my arms started to cramp, then my legs, and then all I could do was hold my spot. Last 2 laps were painful and I was tired and dehydrated, even with the great feeding from Mr. Henri.

Not the great ride I had at Buckwallow last year, but not a bad result either, coming in 11th, with one or 2 Americans rolling in ahead.

Now I need to sort this knee issue out, maybe get an MRI or something. Hope it doesn't force a long period off the bike.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment