Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Knee update

Since Buckwallow, my knee has improved a lot, but the sharp pains still come and go.

Anything serious has been ruled out by multiple tests, leaving plica syndrome the only real possibility. The plica is a remnant of the fetal stage of development, from when the knee was divided into three compartments. Once irritated (multiple MTB crashes) it can catch on the femur, or be pinched between the femur and patella (kneecap). The catch/release causes the patella to pop every time I bend my knee, when its acting up. This is not always painful, but if I move it the wrong way it kills.

It has been affecting my sleeps as my knee locks up from not being moved, and when it does bend, the first few times can be extremely painful.

So what have I been doing to fix this?
All I can really do is keep the surrounding muscles as loose as possible, and ice it often. Heat seems to help also, especially just prior to riding. My chiropractor has been providing some relief with micro-current, which blocks pain, and speeds up healing by clearing inflammation. It's no bs, I can really feel improvements. Only problem is its temporary. She has also been keeping it loose for me and working on my spine a little when there's time.

This pain has caused me to reduce my training a little, allowing more beach trips, which is a fair trade I guess. I should be well rested for road provincials this weekend though!

On today's ride my knee was great, yesterday I just wanted to get home. What will tomorrow bring? It will be hot, that's for sure, and I bet Le Tour will be an exciting one!

All for now

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm looking for information on treating plica syndrome conservatively, as I believe I have an inflamed lateral plica from crossing my legs tightly at my desk.

    Did your issues resolve following treatment with ice/heat and micro-current? Had you had sort of a burning pain associated with the clicking?

    The fact that you're a serious cyclist would give me hope for a quick recovery, as I am a serious desk-sitter. :) Thanks a lot for your response!

    ReplyDelete