Monday, February 14, 2011

First 100km ride of 2011

Yesterday was warm one. only 5 above, but when your used to -10, 5 feels hot. Wind gusts no longer numbed my face and sent chills through my body, but they did lack the fresh crisp smell that I love about the winter.

I took the cx bike out with the wind to NOTL, than took the parkway through the falls and to somewhere between the Falls and Fort Erie. Turned around at service road 20 where a cool custom home lies. Very rectangular with a overhanging second floor, and a fancy porch cover that looks like a carport. Finding unique homes more and more interesting since beginning my architecture studies.

So I had a nice tailwind most of the way back to NOTL, than faced a ridiculous headwind to get back home. It was tough to keep it above 20km/h. Finished up strong after 3.5hrs, and 105km, averaging 28ishkm/h.

Last week was 15.5hrs training time, and the week before that was 14, so I will rest up this week with sub 10hrs saddle time. should leave me fresh for the Frostbike next Sunday. Hope some snow is left, but it doesn't look good. I'd say 25% of it melted yesterday, and its only going to get warmer and wetter later this week. If it all melts and some fresh stuff falls Saturday, that would be fun. As long as its not a skating ring I'm happy.

I have confirmed my attendance at the OCA camp. Teachers were more supportive of that choice than I imagined they would have been and have agreed to let me write tests before or after the camp, and will create make up assignments for the ones I miss. Going to be busy getting everything done, but it will be so worth it.

My training is all mapped out from now till the camp, and I have some good ideas for the weeks following the camp. Homage to Ice is on the calendar. It will be a great early season course that will truly test my early season form.


Team Liberty had its first meeting Saturday. The full team consists of Justin Henri, Alex Schmidt, Megan Fleury, myself and Sara Byres. Sara will only be doing some local MTB races for us as she will be racing for a different road team. Expect the other racers to get there own blogs fired up, and a cool team page on the Liberty website.

Off to school now,
I'll try and make this more routine again.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you! I was in class till 6 yesterday. I wish I could have gotten out for a ride. 1.5 hours indoors for me.

    Goodluck with your training! If I spot you at any events this year I'll be sure to thank you for your inspirational and funny race reports. I raced S4 last year and will continue to this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its going to be 10 degrees this week so there will definitely be some bare spots. Frostbike will still be a good time regardless.

    That's a pretty fast lineup for Team L!B. I'll enjoy watching you guys kick some ass this year.

    ReplyDelete