Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Big Three

Well there not that big...actually feel more like bumps than hills after being in the Blue Ridge. I am referring to the three toughest climbs up the escarpment in Niagara. Woolverton, Fity and McNeilly. Justin and I rode out to Smithville first, the north to Ridge Rd, then three times up each climb with a victory rep up Woolverton on the way back.

My Goal was to push myself hard and get up these hills faster, and more times than ever before. With my current fitness and good legs that was easy. I never used my 27t keeping 39/24 the lowest gear I used all day, and I even shifted up one or two gears on most climbs. Knowing that you can climb something more then ten times as long or high gives you a huge mental boost, and makes you go that much faster.

Justin surprised me by doing all three reps up each climb. This would have been way more climbing than he has ever done in a day, and he finished strong on every climb. I could tell he never held back because he was running on empty the whole way home. Good work man.

Tomorrow I am going to do a shorter ride, but with some intensity in there. I also want to get in a good core workout before the ride because it has been so good to me all spring and I need to make sure I keep it strong. Having no back pain in races would nice.....

Good Friday RR is less than a week away, and the weather is looking very promising. Super excited for this one!!

1 comment:

  1. I think when you guys upgrade to S3 I'll just give up road racing and stick to mtb... oh wait, you guys are in my category there too :P damn! Keep it up, just make sure it doesn't catch up with you in July.

    ReplyDelete