Monday, March 1, 2010

Georgia Wrap-up

So I am back in the arctic tundra known as Canada and and already miss the southern mountains. My ride on Saturday went great and I got in 95km with five big climbs. The temp was around 8C in the Valleys and the sun was out, but the wind was barely calmer than the last time I was up on the Blue Ridge. I started in Helen, then went straight to the 348 to climb Hogpen from the east side. This way isn't as steep, but is much longer and has some down hills near the bottom and near the top that drag it on and on. The headwind made it tougher and I was feeling a little sluggish, but I made it to the top in good time, then bundled up for the fast descent into the wind. This one sucked all the warmth out of me, but wasn't long and I warmed up quickly when I turned to climb back up at the other end of the 348. This climb went well for me and knowing what was coming got me to the top with less pain than the time before. Then there was the fun descent, down the long side with a tailwind. Man was that one fun!

When I got back to the valley, I rolled into Helen to get a Gatorade and check out the euro style shops. It was a cool town that was unique and not too cheesy. After filling up the bottles I started to make my way up the 75 towards Unicoi Gap. With less wind than last time, this stretch was much more enjoyable than last time and I kept my sped over 25km/h. The climb up Unicoi was very enjoyable too and I was loving the fast uphill switchbacks, and the low traffic 3 lane road. At the top I caught some MTBers from Toronto who where there to log base miles for the MTB season. They are new to Ontario, so I told them about the O cup and Marathon series, as well as some other must do races, and they got very pumped as they didn't know some of these races existed. I took off on the decent, which was also super fun, and this time I continued on the 75 to Owl Creek Rd, so that I could head up Brasstown Bald the same way they did in the 2008 TDG. Owl Creek was a great with rolling hills for the first 5-10km. When I rounded a turn a long steep pitch was unveiled, and the asphalt read "It starts here.... Climb!". This 2-3km stretch was pretty steep at about 15%, but it mellowed and there was a short decent back down to the 180. The 180 climbed to the gated road up to the summit. I found the climb up the steep grades a bit easier than before and I think knowing the road helped a lot. The 25% section went by faster and I was able to shift up a couple gears in the last km. When I got to the parking lot I saw that the road to the summit was snow free, and decided to ride it despite the no bicycles sign. I had to hike around the gate, but I re-mounted and rode the rest, having to sprint up a steep grade to make it through a big snow patch. This road was really steep, just like the 5km before, and it had one crazy steep switchback. I walked up the stairs to the top of the observation deck and took in the amazing views. It felt amazing to be looking down on all the other peaks surrounding.

When I was satisfied, I hoped back on my bike and descended back down to the bottom of the 180. I have never had to grab my brakes so hard, but I had to take it really slow with the dirty road surface. At the bottom I turned and climbed back up. I felt some cramps coming on on the steep parts, but kept the cranks turning and made it up to the parking lot where I did some laps to spin the legs out. I had time before my parents picked me up, so I went 2km back down, and climbed it again, really just to keep warm. When the rents got to the top we packed up to begin our drive part way home, stopping for dinner at a friends house.


Looking up at BB from the parking lot

Looking down from the parking lot

Things I learnt about North Georgia:
- People eat out a lot. 5 nights a week is common.
- There are tons of nice cars, and people drive them like maniacs.
- People drive everywhere. The way things are spread out you kinda have to.
- A flat road does not exist. You are always going up or down, even on the highways.
- Even after climbing for a while, you will not have a view of the area, you will just see more and bigger hills around you.
- There are a lot of dogs in the country, and they will chase you. I got away every time, but if they got close enough I would not hesitate to show the dog what an SPD SL cleat to the face felt like.
- There are no pot holes, but the pavement is thin.
- Drivers are nice to cyclists, and some will cheer you on when your climbing.
- 48F is not as warm as it sounds.

1 comment: