Saturday, March 6, 2010

A very Long Ride.......

Justin arrived at my house just before 11am this morning, and we embarked from there on what would be about a 150km ride for me. We made it just down to the canal when we had to turn back to my house to make a brake adjustment on Justin's bike. I made a very abrupt stop at a stop sign not realizing Justin was right behind me, and he grabbed his front brake so hard that the cable pulled right out of the straddle. Super strong braking hands or weak wrenching hands? Who knows, but it wasn't a big deal, and our collision was very minor. So with that torqued to spec we pressed on. Tailwind to NOTL was nice, Kinda got lost there in our attempt to avoid the downtown, asked for directions, then followed those to the parkway. After a short stretching session, we began the long stretch to Fort Erie. A light headwind made it a little tougher, but we worked together between the Falls and FE.

Some douchebag tried to give us a hard time as he passed by honking, coming close, flooring it and yelling something that either of us could hear. funny thing was that he stopped at the same bakery we did in fort Erie, and we got to hear what he had to say. His smokin hot girlfriend waved at us as she spotted us when they arrived, then he got out, said we ride like idiots or something like that, and that we are going to get hit one day. We were not riding like idiots, keeping a tight double file at the time, going single when cars came, and his asshole style pass was the closest I have been to getting hit in my life. We basically said "okay.....". I would have said something better if I had more energy or a real reason to start shit with some fucking douche. We left there for the nearest MickyD's for some free coffee, muffins and a chicken snack wrap. Yummy. I bought some water and asked I could have 2 warm bottles if possible. Instead I was handed 2 ice cold bottles with big ice burgs floating in them. Perfect, Exactly what I didn't want, but according to her it was all they had. Bullshit.

It was cold getting back on the bike, but we warmed up quickly and kept our speed high slicing through a strong side wind. Trying to avoid highway 3, we ended up doing some back-tracking to get off a muddy road.... twice, but we eventually found a nice road that led us north, than we headed towards Welland from there. So we missed Port Colbourne, but didn't cut any distance, and got to see some new scenery. Justin made it home in time for work, a little cooked but not bonked, then I headed home down Cataract with the wind at my back. Made it home just before 5:30, left at 11, had stopped for ~ an hour, so ride time was about 5.5hrs. Very nice. I hurt the most along the parkway, but felt great form MickyD's on. My endurance seems to be with me...

When I got home I was happy to have lots of tasty leftovers, and a cold beer in the fridge to enjoy with them.....

weather was warm enough for knee warmers today, and tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Gonna go long again. At least 100km.

werd

2 comments:

  1. Do the St.Catharines Club ride!!
    8:15 Fryin Guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8;15!? Sorry man but I'm sleepin in and riding in the balmy pm heat. Have fun though...

    ReplyDelete