Monday, October 18, 2010

T.O. UCI Cross report

Day 1

Going into day 1, I had it in my head that the reason I was soo slow at Turkey cross was because I went out to hard, and blew myself up before the race was even half over. So, I figured I would have more success if I started steady, and ramped it up through the race. I planed to always have a wheel to suck in the wind, and only attack guys before the twisties, or when they messed up.

I liked the course a lot during the pre ride. It was well designed in a way that you didn't have to use your brakes much. Not too much climbing either....

When the race started I settled into a pace that I could likely hold for 2 hours. I got on Guy's wheel and he pulled me through the headwind section at a good pace. This brought me up to Henri, and a couple other handlebar guys that I stuck with till I was pulled. I thought I was doing alright, and was just starting to ramp it up to my red lined pace. I guess I lost to much ground in the first quarter, so it didn't matter that I had some gas left. Frattini was coming.

Before heading home I hit up the snowboard show with my buddy who came along for the race. Checked out a lot of decks but nothing in the u300 dollar cat jumped out at me, so I left empty handed. We got stuck in traffic for an hour after, and I never got any decent food in me till 7pm. I made up for that by feasting on steak, potatoes, salad and cheesecake when I got home.

Day 2

New plan for day 2. Race at a 40 minute pace, and make it to the last lap so I could finish on the same one as the leaders. This course was a bit longer than Saturdays (time wise) because it had more turns, so I was confident I could avoid the pull.

I started a bit slow, but made up some spots quickly and was riding really well. I was riding in a train of ride with Rendall guys, and was able to draft them for a while. Most of those guys had more power than I did, but they were slowing me down in the turns a little. If I attacked I figure I would have blown trying to tackle the stiff headwind, so I sat on and only past them when they fell or really missed the line.

The last lap was an exciting battle for 23rd spot with 2 others. They both tried attacks early, but we stayed together all the way to the sandpit. I tried to attack before the drop, because I was riding the off camber turns and climb really well, but I just never had the power to get ahead on the climb. I tried to ride the sandpit, but failed horibly, and the other two gaped me by running it quickly. That was it for me, but it was good enough for 25th, and a $25 pay out.

I had a lot of fun though, and am starting to get this cross thing. I plan to do a few more this season including Provincials this weekend.

all for now

No comments:

Post a Comment