Saturday, October 30, 2010

Getting fit again

Finally starting to feel strong on the bike again. Today was the first ride that I felt good sensations while hammering since the Squeezer.

I went over to hydro hill, and climbed it 10 times. Didn't race up it, just went steady, and made sure to get my heart-rate above 170 each time. 42x28 seemed to be the perfect gear, with the occasional double up shift before standing. After the reps I cruised through some singletrack in the Decew Falls area, then enjoyed a nice push from the wind all the way home. Total ride time was 1h50mins. Wanted to do more trails, but I figured I should go home and eat/rest for tomorrows race in the US. I am doing the NY state champs down in the Rochester area. Hillbilly Hustle looked like fun too, but its a far drive for a 1hr race.

This week I chose to do most of my training on foot. Running is not fun, but for some reason I am more motivated to run, than to do intervals on the bike; at this time of year. Maybe its because I suck at running and know that I can easily improve at it, which I have. Tues and Thurs were both 10km runs with 10reps up the stairs at lock 2. Did different agility drills that Morka introduced to me. After Tuesday my legs felt completely torn apart. I could barely walk, and going down stairs was very painful. After an easy spin on Wed I was ready for it again Thurs and got'r done feeling much better.

I think next week will look very similar to this one. I will shorten the runs and make Thursday easier to have a tapper effect for Nationals.

I have also started to do some strength training; to my upper body anyway. Pumped out 120 push-ups this week, 2+x that in sit-ups. Also a bit of curls, shoulder and tricep work. You don't realize how valuable this training is until you're riding at your limit, and start to fade because your arms and core are to weak to keep your bike stable; or when you enter a technical bit of singletrack and you have to slow down because you've got nothing in your body to maneuver your bike around.

Hopefully I feel good tomorrow, and even better next Saturday.
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment