Saturday, April 23, 2011

"Don't Cross the Yellow Line"

Interesting Good Friday Race yesterday in Flamborough.

It was way colder than I was expecting, and the winds were intense. My plan was to race conservatively, and keep an eye on they guys I knew would be strong. Figured one or two guys from each of the bigger teams would go clear in a break lap 2 or 3, and never be seen again with no one interested in chasing. A break went early, I didn't think it was the one, and no one seemed to excited about it. They lasted ~1 lap, then not long after there capture, Bryer attacked. He was on my list to watch for sure, but he went alone, cruising away in the tailwind. The surge/bridge after him that I was waiting for never happened.

I don't remember when, but 2 guys attacked and I guess bridged up to him, one guy being a team mate of Bryer. Now the Garneau team was in trouble, and forced to drive the pace. I was watching Riggs and Schiller knowing they would try to get a guy up to them. Schiller tried a few times, but nothing was working out. I bridged to him and Anton, but we only stayed away for a minute, and that was about it.

On the last lap we caught a Jetfuel rider that was dropped from the break, but the other 2 were too far ahead, even with all the Garneau firepower.

I had no luck at all getting into position for the sprint. There was about 5km of cross-wind, then a right hander with ~200m tailwind to the line. I was on the right side of the road, in a nice spot for a while, but swarms were moving up on the left and I kept getting pushed back. Some were very obviously gaining spots by using the full road. I will admit that I crossed the yellow line too, but never to gain a position, and it was really only when the entire pack was, leaving no choice.

So falling back on the right, I moved to the left, and got a bit closer to the front, then found myself stuck there, in the wind with no room to move up because I was on the yellow line. I heard Justin yelling for me to get on his wheel cause he found an opening on the right. Damn it! should have stayed there. I guess the shoulder would have been a better choice.

A surge with about 5 guys went just before the turn, and it took a lot just to get on it, next thing were rounding the corner and I'm way to far back to make anything happen. I moved up a few spots on the left side, but had no kick left after a tough last stretch. Actually finished 11th, but excluding the yellow line violators I got a much more pleasing 6th. I guess they were recording numbers in the follow car, getting guys who did it multiple times, or were just at the back, where their numbers could be seen.

Sounds dumb to DQ 3/4's of the field, but I think the race would have been way better if the rule was actually obeyed. Well I should say tougher, cause with the cross winds, the pack would have been shattered over and over with only the strong staying at the front. Instead, everyone tested the commissionaire, and he won.

I was happy with how I felt, not my strongest day, but I had the power when I needed it, minus the sprint.

So Mansfield is up next. Might do an epic MTB ride tomorrow, as long ass its not too muddy. If not, long road ride, then a busy week full of final exams, and some shorter intervals. Tuesday nighter? most likely.

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment