Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fitness Gains

I'm thrilled to say that today's intervals were a success! I actually went beyond my expectations pulling off an average wattage of 319 for the first 20mins, and then 312 for the second 20mins.

I used my new Jake the Snake, which is now dialed in thanks to Kurt @ Liberty for transferring all the measurements from my road bike onto it, slightly modified for cross. The comfort was amazing, and with similar handling to my road bike, I kept forgetting I was on a CX bike. It feels very stiff while standing, but I can notice its not as stable as a road bike with the bottom bracket being a bit higher. Its almost 5lbs heavier too, so it takes a bit more power to get up hills.

During the suffering I was thinking about a story Mike G told us at the OCA camp about John Tomac. Apparently there's a video of him climbing a very steep hill, and he says something like "when climbing starts to hurt, just think of the fitness gains". Now that's what I'm thinking every time I'm suffering. And it's true. I'm getting fit! I feel like I may be getting a little too fast a little too soon, so I am going to reduce my intervals for Thursday and, take next week a bit lighter, mainly since Good Friday is of course, that Friday. I plan to get faster and faster till June, maintain till Road Nats, then rest a bit. Must avoid over reaching!

Tomorrow I plan to train in the mud for a little, trying out my secret weapons for P-A. Getting very excited for this weekend, just hope the forecast improves a bit. But whatever, mud is more fun!

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment