Sunday, April 17, 2011

P2A

Awesome day of racing today out on the rail trails and mud chutes between Paris and Ancaster. I was very relaxed at the start, pumped fo sho, but calm because I knew I was gonna get to start near the front, unlike last year where I had to move up 200 spots on the first trail. Warm up was all right, nothing structured, but then again I was expecting a relaxed first 10km anyway.

Start went exactly as anticipated. I sat in the top 10, and just stayed as calm as possible waiting for that selective climb to come. When it came I nailed it and got in the lead/chase group with only Mike G, Adam Myerson and I think one other guy up a bit. Our group grew a little along the first road, and the work was shared a little, with Box doing the most.

I was feeling solid till the second dirt/grass section, where I guess you could say I "blew up". For a few minutes I just had nothing. Arms heavy and weak to point where I could barley hold the bars, and no power in the legs either. Wasn't too catastrophic, but bad enough to loss contact with the group containing 2nd through 7th place finishers. A few of them fell back to my new group, and Myerson would be out of contention after getting a flat later on. Till the final 10 km it wasn't to exciting. Just everyone in my group fighting for shelter in the intense cross winds, and only short lived attacks and surges against one another. I was waiting for the mud chutes before I tried any moves.

The first one came quickly, and I was surprised no one surged to be first one in. I just croozed up to the front, and lead down it. Came out with a gap, soloed to the next one, then bombed it nice and smooth to seal the deal. Then....I saw a rider ahead. I could tell I was moving a lot faster he was. Did he have a flat? Nope, just Chown, running on empty. Made the pass halfway up the final climb, then brought it home for 8th.

The final climb


Happy to improve on last year, despite not having my best day. Starting position helped a lot, but that's only the first 1/6th.

Congrats to Mike for an epic victory. Very impressive.

Team mate Alex Schmidt finished strong in 32nd. And Justin was able to move up to 65th after starting in the 300's. Nice job boys!

And Sara Byers for winning Calabogie, also, nice job Hoppner for the junior victory, and Etzie for snagging second.

Parents made a creamin meal post race; gourmet lamb burgers! MMMMM. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Ahhhh, final week of school starts tomorrow, then Good Friday race is here. Think I'm gonna do my first SCCC Tuesday night worlds race this week, and that'll be about it for intensity till Friday.

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment