Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gettin'er done

So I rode through the downpour of mixed precipitation to get to the gym again today so I could work on the opposite muscles I pushed yesterday; my hamstrings and biceps. To work my hamstrings I used the hamstring curl machine and switched it up between one leg at a time with 75lbs and both legs with 100-175lbs. Between sets I did every type of bicep workout I know, and just gaver till curling 15 pounds felt like 40. Biceps aren't too important to me, so in the future I will only work them to keep them fit. I did a little core work as well, but my abs were hurt'n from yesterday so I couldn't do much. I didn't realize how exhausted my hamstrings were till I went to put my jeans on and struggled to lift my right leg high enough to get in them. Same thing with my arms as I found it oddly hard to reach my face for washing.

My target is to get two strength workouts like today, and two like yesterday done every week this off season with spinning in between. I will gladly substite for riding when the weather is good of course. Come March and April I will be just ridding as much as possible to log in the basemiles, with occasional tune-ups at the gym.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like your off season training is well underway - I have no doubt you'll be able to accomplish your goals next season.

    I have to ask though, why are you doing focused bicep workouts at all? I know that I am always trying to keep upper body muscle mass to a minimum while strengthening the core and key cycling muscle groups. Then again, who am I to question - you're way faster than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere that the day you work hamstrings you should also work biceps as they are similar muscle groups. In this workout I will put 80% effort into my hamstrings and 20% into my biceps (same for quads/triceps) as I agree, I don't plan on bulking up my upper body, only repairing the muscle I once had in my arms that deteriorated through a summer of pedaling. Curls are great for strengthening the forearms and wrists as well which I could use; especially in the longer races...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, that makes a lot of sense. I definitely feel that mtb takes a little upper body strength that you wouldn't need for road.

    ReplyDelete