Sunday, November 22, 2009

Winter WOW Race Report

Today was an epic day on the trails at Mansfield; as was every other time I've been there. The weather was very summerish for a "Winter Enduro" with a high that felt like 15, and the sun shinning on and off. The trails were very dry, even to dry in some spots making for the odd soft turn. The trails with the leaves blown off were my favorite but it was all fun, except for maybe a few climbs I had to hike up. I felt like I could have ridden all of them as I had the power, but lost it when I picked bad lines.

The race started off good for me and I was sitting right were I wanted to be; behind some Jetpower boys who I knew were very strong riders. I felt great until about 10 minutes into the race when both my shoulders started to hurt and feel weak. I think all the painting and demolition I've been doing lately may be to blame for this, cause I've never felt this before. This was no big deal though cause I'm fine with staying seated till they loosen up. As they got better my lower back started to hurt, probably because I was using my arms to a minimal, but the pain was tolerable and I've had much worse in early season races. This made me want to sit up for a little, and I did till I recovered a bit. No one caught me but I lost the guys I was with, who I would Have liked to stay with. I never really started to feel good until the half way point and shortly after I passed the two Jetpower Boys who had stopped at the feedzone. I guess they decided to make it a fun race because they kinda sat up till the finish. I upped my effort from there, but spoiled it by riding off course a bunch of times where the leaves were hiding the trail. I was quick to get going again all but one time where I went a ways off and came out on a gravel road. I was lucky to see the some riders in the forest, so I chased after them to get back on track. There was a single speed rider who lead me back up to the Jetpower guys. I had to re-ride about 500m of trail, but I saw where I went straight though when there was actually a sweeping left turn beneath the leaves. I think four riders passed me who I caught shortly after so it was no big deal.

Not far after getting back on course I had my only bail of the day when riding an A frame skinny over a log. I didn't actually fall of the skinny but I came off it to the right and rode straight into a small tree that flipped my of my bike. I wasn't going fast so I got back up in no time. After that my race was incident free and I tried to put the hammer down, but without any intense riding or racing in the last month, my heart wasn't pumping like it did in September.

In the end Peter Glassford took the win on a singlespeed, and I finished 4th in the 19-29 cat. I think most riders coming in ahead of me race cross, so they are likely in better form this time of year. I had a great time though and would like to thank WOW for the great event and the awesome post race chili and brownies, and of course Mother Nature for the unbelievable weather.

3 comments:

  1. You forgot the biggest achievement of the day, making a coffee lasting from St. Catharines to Mansfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not known to brag, but I'm pretty good at drinking coffee slow and enjoying every sip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice finish man, even with all the off-course stuff, you seem to do that alot eh haha.

    BTW, how did you get that video uploaded of the snowboarding without putting it on youtube ? Or did you put it up ?

    ReplyDelete