Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tearing It Up


What have I been up to lately? a whole lot of demolition. I have been pretty busy working at the new Liberty Bicycles lately, and the work is very laborious meaning that I have been to drained after work to train. The demo is decent cross training though with all the heavy lifting, pulling, pushing, smashing, sweeping and swinging. I've spent most of the past two days tearing down a plaster ceiling, that involved two hours of bashing pieces down with a hammer. After that I spent hours pulling down wood with a crowbar, and cleaning the debris. We had a huge dumpster delivered yesterday which we felt more than 3/4 full in two hours thanks to the help from Shorthill's Cycling Club members Tom, Brad, and Paul.

The new shop is close to being in a skeleton state with almost everything torn out excluding some plumbing and electrical. The building is so huge with three stories at 5000 square ft. each and a freight elevator to access them. The possibilities are endless and Kurt has been spending a lot of time with an architect to design the ultimate bike shop layout. I'm sure that the end result will be one of the coolest and most original shops in the world. By next fall we are planning to have a complete spin studio upstairs including virtual racing. To reduce our impact on the environment we will be putting some green life on the roof; maybe some single track up there?

I got to the gym on Wednesday and mixed things up bit there. I worked my legs really hard by doing tones of lunges with dumbbells, four sets of squats, and eight sets of hamstring curls. I'm going to back off on the squats for a little though because I'm finding them hard on my back where the bar rests, even with thick padding. Because my lower back let me down at WOW, I have started to do some dead lifts because they work it like no other exercise can. They feel great to as long as you have the form perfected. Dead lifts combined with a bunch of leg stuff will be the foundation of all my workouts. I plan on getting out on my road bike tomorrow, weather permitting. I can't wait for the trails to dry up so I can get out on some night rides.

3 comments:

  1. Best bike shop in the world? You just might be right. Getting to start from scratch and design your own shop is pretty sweet.

    Try birddogs for your lower back. They are Hincapie's favorite and I find they work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look pretty scray in that picture haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do... but you can tell I'm smiling under the dust mask.

    ReplyDelete