Sunday, February 7, 2010

Frostbike Race Report

This epic day began no late than 6am for me. I wanted to sleep till 7:30, but when you wake up stoked to race on a sick course its hard to chill and get more rest. So I got up and mow'd down a PB and Banana sandwich on "Viking" bread (Rye and sourdough), then laid on the couch and watched some Comedy Now. I got up at 8, pressed some coffee to fill a thermos, got my shit together and ate some yogurt, more bread and an apple then went outside to wait for Derek M to pick pick me up. He arrived 3 minutes later than he said he would, and then we were off to pick up JC R.

We got to the venue with plenty of time to register, change and warm up. I headed towards the course with Derek for a little pre-ride action, but he peeled off and I ended up riding most of the course alone. I made it back to the start area just after the rider briefing started, then I lined up with Justin H and Brandon E to start the race.

My original plan was to hold back on my first lap (each counted separate) and hammer on the second, where I would feel better mentally and physically. That plan changed when I saw I had a gap on my challengers early in the race. I upped my effort and kept it as smooth as possible from there. I was taking the corners easy, and punching it out of them as fast as I could. I made sure I had a good punch ready for all the short, techy climbs, and I almost rode them all. I crashed a few times, but they were nothing that a run and CX style remount couldn't fix. I finished strong and ready to go out for a second lap. Brandon finished a minute or two after, and unfortunately for Justin he snapped his chain and got a DNF for that race. I will teach him how to dial his derailleurs so that doesn't happen again.

I ate a banana, a hammer gel and drank some Gatorade, then I was off for my second lap. I doubted I could put down a faster time, but if the course was faster, and/or I avoided the crashes I had lap one, you never know what could happen. That was not the case. I found some new places to crash and flatted my front tire when trying to turn out of a rut. Stan the man and a Co2 cartridge took care of it, but after that I decided to just enjoy the lap, and have fun on my new favorite trails. The trails were a lot more challenging on lap two with all the ruts and the softer conditions from then sun beating down on them. Still wicked fun though. If anyone could beat my 37 minute lap in those conditions, they would really deserved the win, and I would have to be a bike handling superstar. Brandon could not do it, nor could Justin who was at a disadvantage riding a big wheel bike with no gears.

Me squeezing by the rock

The Après race party at the Funky Monkey was just as fun as the race itself. I drank about seven too many beers, enjoyed some fine chilly and an order of nachos with JC, Derek and Justin. A race win, and being surrounded by so many great people calls for celebration like such. I won a year membership at Premier Fitness (can't wait to activate that) for my win, and a set of Hutchinson Mosquito's as a draw price. Great prizes...thanks so much everyone!!!!

I scaled myself up before my shower and I was shocked to see that I am down to 145lbs! That's over 10lbs lighter than I was when I came back from Canmore, and I had a belly full of beer and pizza! I think I will easily come back down to 140lbs before my race season begins as I ramp up my mileage and spend 18 days down south. That's right 18 days! I am spending the last week of February just north of Atlanta Georgia, then I come home for ten days before going south again for the OCA camp. Can't wait to get down there, but I have some more strength training to get done first, as well as many more base miles.

Thanks so much Shorthills Cycling club, and sponsors for the epic event. This was one of my favourite races ever, on what I would have to say was my favourite course. Also, thanks Winter for the nice snow coverage, sun and bearably cold temps.

It was an epic day I will never forget!!!

Oh, and I found out whats good about football. Its so boring that it doesn't distract you at all while your trying to type. Even if you love football, there is so much "nothing happenings time"/commercial time, that you can get so much done.

All for now, and thanks again everyone who made today happen!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the win man, your time wasn't 47 it was 37 haha

    Next race, Good Friday Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. Time correction made.

    Good Friday is marked on my calender and approaching very quickly. Gonna be a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my money on you for that one as well, right after some training in Georgia and the OCA camp you'll be too strong for S4

    ReplyDelete