Monday, February 15, 2010

May Have been Her Last Breath....

Yesterday was another day on the MTB for me. I wanted to go to the Hood again...so I did. Might have been a bad idea, or a really good one? Two days prior the snow made it very tough just to keep moving, and there were inches more yesterday. Let me tell you; it was tough. I barely made it up anything that had an incline to it, and even dabbed on the flats multiple times. The first half had the best conditions, so I rode it three times, the rest of the course, just once was more than enough. I didn't really crash, but then again I was moving less than 10km/h most of the time. As frustrating as it was at times, I kept thinking what a great full body workout it was. My arms and core where exhausted long before my legs even got going. Also, When I was moving I was getting amazing technical practice as you had to pick the perfect line, and stay right on it or you stopped dead. I think the reason it was so tough was because the new snow wouldn't allow my tires bite into the packed snow beneath. Imagine a loose 3 inch trail with a half foot of deep mud on each side. That's what it was like, except snow. I installed the new tires I won at Frostbike before the ride (Hutchinson Mosquito's). They were super easy to seal tubeless, and the tread was great in the snow. I will keep them on for the spring, then use them all next winter.

Here she is after some MTV style pimping. (new tires and bike lusting)


So here's the bad news, week or so ago I found what appears to be crack on the top of the seat stay weld :( See it?


I stripped the frame down last night so that it can be on its way to Kona this week. I will most likely come out with a 2010 frame, but we'll see. My Stumpy is getting ordered tomorrow, so I should have it going when I get back from Georgia. Can't wit to ride it!!

On to today's ride now:
Check out Justin's post here, it pretty much sums it up. It was just over 100km for me and about 4hrs ride time. 4 laps of the Niagara classic were on the menu, served with 4 climbs up Saylor's. I felt great on the climb, even with the headwind; a good sign for my fitness. Justin rode well too despite his hour run earlier in the day, but I could tell it hurt his climbing. On my way up Holland I got moo'd at by a cow, he could probably smell the prime rib I ate the night before. Sorry cows, but your just so delicious. I finished the ride pretty cooked, but the wind helped me keep my speed high right to my front door.

It was a big weekend for me with over 15 hours pedal time. The next four days I will be recovering by doing short rides before work. I'm off to Georgia Saturday, so I've got to rest up for that.

werd

1 comment:

  1. Lucky for you the new Kula Sup frame is sweet. To bad it won't match the livestrong bracelets you just got.

    I guess that frame didn't last long eh.

    ReplyDelete