Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lunging Around the Block

Well, not all they way around the block, but I think it was more than half way. Yesterday morning I took advantage of having the morning off work to do an at home strength workout. For the main part of my workout I was planning on grabbing some 15 pound dumbbells and going around my block (about 400m) competing a lunge for every step. After a bunch of core work and some step ups for a warm up I was headed out. I tried to do the best lunges possible by going down slowly till my knee gently touched the road then springing back up much quicker. I thought I would be able to go around the whole block easily, but by the time I was a quarter way around I knew I was not gonna make the whole loop so I turned back and pushed hard to make it home. It turned out to be much more painful than expected; but a good painful.

When I did lunges at the gym I felt like I could keep going for an hour, but I think that was because I took a quick recovery break after two lengths of a squash court. When your outside and actually trying to cover ground it's a different story, and it feels like your not moving at all. When I eventually made it back home I did more core work and some push ups till I felt exhausted.

I felt a little tired today and a little sore all over in the legs. I rode my trainer for a half hour after work but felt weak so I went easy. Tomorrow morning I plan on making the full loop around the block (if I feel good) even if it means taking a quick break every 10m. I want to be able to do the full block with 25 pound dumbbells by the end of the winter. I recommend trying this to all, it really puts the hurt on. fast.

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Tried to do the same thing around the track at Brock while holding a 45Ib plaque... didnt make it, not even close

    ReplyDelete