Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Freezing My Arse Off

Training Update: Sunday- 62km endurance mountain bike ride. About 40k of it was with the Shorthills Cycling club. I was riding pretty strong right till the end and made a few hard efforts to hold some other local racers wheels. The trails were in great shape and our bikes were actually dusty after. After stopping at Timmy's to have a bite and sip some fine coffee, I headed home on some singletrack with Jeff K.

Monday- 1 hour strength workout focusing on my core. I held three front planks for 3 minutes at a time; a new record for me. Did two side planks on each side then some push ups, body weight squats, lunges, sit ups, bird dogs, wall sits and pull ups. I also did some squat jumps and jumping jacks to help get the blood pumping.

Tuesday- 1 hour strength workout focusing on total body power. I bought a kettlebell Monday night so I was able to do a few sets of swings at home. They feel great and require a ton of core strength. I did some deadlifts, step ups, pushups and a front plank for 3 minutes. I left for work a bit early to mess around in the snow on my cross bike. Man is that thing fun!

Wednesday- 2 hour Mountain bike ride working on technical skills. I took the singletrack along 12 Mile creek and up to Brock so I could meet up with Justin and get a coffee at the MickyD's. Unfortunately he didn't make it due to mechanical issues, so after enjoying a coffee and thawing out, I headed out on my own. I was feelin a little sluggish and was too cold to ride the more open trails, so I stuck to the trails behind Brock and did 6 or 7 laps through Switchback City. I choose to do laps through there because it is the slowest trail in the region with tones of twisty turns (hence the name) and some tecky off camber stuff. I was trying to bring as much speed as possible through the turns while keeping it safe and smooth. After that I headed home to warm up again.

Happy holidays everyone........

2 comments:

  1. Sick training days man, I've gotta get my ass in gear on that strength training

    ReplyDelete