Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Playing In The Snow

I've been really enjoying the snow the last couple days both on my bike and my board.

Yesterday I rode my cross bike through the fresh 5cm of snow that feel at my park, and lasted 2hrs out there in the cold. I crashes more times on that ride then I did all season combined, but nothing was very serious. It was mainly just me trying to make sharp turns, ride off camber and carve around trees when the grass was slick under the snow. One crash hurt hurt bad though when I actually slammed into a tree. I lost my rear wheel about a quarter into a turn rounding a tree, and that lined me up with the tree somehow launching me straight into it. I took the blow with my shoulder and it hurt for a few minutes then subsided as I kept riding and only felt pain in my legs. Riding on soft grass with 5cm of snow on top is really hard to carry momentum on and takes a fair amount of power even to turn the little ring on. I went home for lunch an hour in to enjoy some turkey soup (what other soup is there this time of year?) and replaced the frozen water in my bottle with beer before riding another hour. Training so close to home is sick for that reason.

Today I tore apart Mt. St. Louis Moonstone with JH. I forgot how exhausting snowboarding can be and felt pretty pouched after the 4ish hours we got in. Multiple laps through the pipe and mini jump line was our line of choice and we did that for the majority of the day. We made the trip to the bigger park "The Outback" and made a few laps through it. I felt like I had grown a vagina this summer cause I was shook to even the smallest jump in that park. It was a pretty Poppy 30 footer that we both straight aired, but last season I was throwing 3's over the 50 footer at Blue without a thought. I felt a lot sketchier than anticipated but it was pretty icy and my first day on the slopes this season. I am also a lot less motivated to go big now since any injury could bring my training to hault; and I have nothing to prove. Hopefully my softness won't disapoint my buddies in Alberta, because as I've ramped down my boarding they've steped it up bigtime. I'm preppared to be called a vag by them after they stomp seven's and backflips on jumps that I won't even air. Hopefully I will at least be able to outride them in the powder with my superb leg strength. Hopefully...

1 comment:

  1. Andrew DeCal...lunging up Mt. St. Louis Moonstone.

    Enjoy the trip out west, travel safe. CX snow rides on the trail when you get back.

    ReplyDelete